Getty Images / iStockphoto
Our advice to start a vegetable garden: do not see too big, prefer seedlings to seedlings, make good associations ... All our tips to make your little piece of land a real kitchen garden!
Opt for a kitchen garden squared
In the garden as on the terrace, the technique of the vegetable garden in square makes it possible to cultivate by limiting the maintenance and the watering. When you have managed your first square of 1.50 m, you can start making 2 or 3 more squares.
In a square from 90 cm to 1.50 m of side, we divide the surface in 4 or 9 equal parts so as to have small parcels, each dedicated to one or several different vegetables which will have enough room to develop without disturbing their neighbors.
Instead of sowingwe buy young plants that are transplanted directly to the right place at the right time. It is more convenient when you start and some chilly vegetables like zucchini, peppers and tomatoes prefer to be planted after the last frosts.
The multiplicity of species promotes biodiversity, which attracts pollinating and beneficial insects, while avoiding the invasion of pests. It also benefits to mix companion plants that will further away parasites.
You can also sow or plant online in squares, for example for vegetables not taking up much space like carrots, radishes and spinach, respecting 15 to 20 cm between each line. In this case, the ready-to-use seedbeds are the best solution for not sowing too tightly and then sparing the uprooting of excessively young seedlings.
The square must remain accessible from all sides to plant and harvest by simply stretching the arm. But on the balconies, the small squares of 90 cm of side can also be supported without difficulty on the railing or the facade.
From one year to anotherdo not replant the same species in the same place. Rotate them in the same square or in different squares. In this way, the earth becomes less exhausted (especially in the garden) and the appearance of recurring diseases and parasites is avoided. This is the principle of crop rotation. In the kitchen squares of balconies and terraces, as well as in pots and planters, it is also necessary to renew the soil of culture every year or every two years.
The good associations of plants
Some plants serve as a repellent against parasites of other species. Their properties have been known for a long time, so use them to manage the garden as ecologically as possible:
- Garlic, onion, leek, spring onion and chives have fungicidal and insecticidal properties. Plant them next to carrots, beets, lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes.
- The marigold has a repellent effect against nematodes, parasites of the soil, it is useful especially at the foot of tomatoes. next to beans and potatoes, it acts against aphids and flea beetles.
- Thyme and sage keep away parasitic flies. They can be sandwiched between cabbage, broccoli and carrots.
And to associate the vegetables
Certain vegetable combinations are also to be favored for a better health of the vegetable garden and a good growth of the plants:
- Beans and cucumbers, zucchini, eggplant, spinach
- Leeks and carrots
- Peas and carrots, turnips, lettuce
- Swiss chard and radishes, salads
- Tomatoes and basil
On the other hand, absolutely avoid planting side by side:
- Cabbages, beans and peas with garlic, onion, leeks, strawberries
- Potatoes with spinach, squash and pumpkins